Welcome to Aston-Cum-Aughton Parish Council Website
Next Parish Council Meeting
Tuesday 13 November 2018 commencing 7.15 pm
BONFIRE AND FIREWORKS DISPLAY 2018 - See Events
The Parish Council
Aston-cum-Aughton Parish Council forms part of the Borough of Rotherham Metropolitan District in South Yorkshire. It has a population of around 15000 and is an independent corporate body originally created in 1894.
Civil parishes in their modern sense were established afresh in 1894, by the Local
Government Act 1894. The Act abolished vestries and established elected parish councils, Aston-cum-Aughton being one, in rural civil parishes. They were created to reinvigorate local communities and give them a voice. The functions of local government, the civil parish, were formally separated from those of the Church, whose functions were covered by Parochial Church Councils. These new parish councils were grouped into rural districts.
Aston-cum-Aughton’s first Parish Council meeting took place on 31 December 1894.
More parishes were created in 1974 following the Local Government Act 1972, when the
previous middle tier of local government (urban and rural district councils) was dissolved.
As the new boroughs and districts were larger, new parishes were created to ensure that
communities still had a voice. Many of these new parishes were in urban areas.
Parishes have seen extra discretionary functions added but remain largely unchanged – they have escaped many of the changes imposed by Westminster on other layers of local government. With small numbers of new parishes being created each year, parishes remain part of the structure of local government.