>> William Layne Reading Room
WILLIAM LAYNE READING ROOM
The Parish Council’s Grade II listed building is known as the
William Layne Reading Room in memory of the late Parish and
Rotherham Borough Councillor.
It is recorded that the building opened as a school in 1743, and
that the first teacher at the school
was Samuel Craven
who was paid a half-yearly salary of £4. The Reading Room continued as a school until 1890.
In the 270 plus years
since it was built, what had become known as the ‘Reading Room’ on Aughton Lane, had been
the first original school, community centre, storeroom and
workshop and had lain empty and suffered years of neglect.
But thanks to a £178,500 grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund
(HLF) this historic building was restored and once again put to
good use for the benefit of the local community.
The Parish Council
purchased the Reading
Room in 1999 and carried
out emergency repairs to prevent
further deterioration. The HLF grant enabled
the building to have its rear stained
glass window and semi-circular side windows re- instated. These were in keeping with the style of John Carr of York who possibly designed the original building. A new
extension was built to house toilets and kitchen.
FOR HIRING AVAILABILITY AND CHARGES PLEASE CONTACT THE PARISH COUNCIL OFFICE